Saturday, July 26, 2014

We interrupt your irregular list...with another list

I WILL get back to those 90s album posts eventually, but in the meantime here's a Top 50 Debut Albums list from Twitter. Plenty of other tweeters have been doing theirs too and the best place to check the others out is probably here. Be sure to check them out - there are some great lists and it's being updated all the time.

As usual with these things, it's just the tweets copied into here.



OK, here goes. My hastily assembled, shoddily organised, 90s indie heavy, missing all the "classics", list of my fav debut LPs.

And I will reiterate that "favourite" as I'm sure there are plenty of "better" debut LPs, but if so I'm yet to hear them.

50. The Auteurs - New Wave. Imagine - I consider 49 debut albums to be better than this. I must be crazy.

49. Arcade Fire - Funeral. A great debut that they failed to match. I can take them or leave them since this.

48. Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine. Blimey. There's a band who knew how to make a statement of intent.

47. Frazier Chorus - Sue. I loved this band, but I doubt they'll make any more of these lists (unless @eifion does one).

46. Morrissey - Viva Hate. Maybe I was swayed by Vini Reilly's guitar, but it's still my favourite Moz album.

45. Nirvana - Bleach. "Nah, I don't want a copy of that - too metal for my tastes" (Me, summer '91) Shows 
you should ignore me.

44. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not. Nowt more than kids really, but with such great tunes.

43. Carter USM - 101 Damnations. When I did my 50 fav LPs list it was touch & go whether this or 30 Something was in.

42. The Sugarcubes - Life's Too Good. If I had space in 140 characters I'd just tweet a tracklist & then you'd just smile & nod

41. Soul II Soul - Club Classics Volume 1. First time I heard Keep On Moving was in the pool room in The Bull in Abergele.

40. The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses. You know all about this. Much loved, but I listen to Second Coming more these days.

39. Neneh Cherry - Raw Like Sushi. I hear people tell how they wore out a tape. If I ever came close it was with this.

38. The Orb - The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld. Ambulent gubbins par excellence.

37. Portishead - Dummy. Beth Gibbons is up there with Hope Sandoval as a voice I could listen to all day.

36. Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill. Even if it's just for Ex-Factor.

35. Madder Rose - Bring It Down. After hearing the irresistible Swim on the radio I dashed out to get this. Not disappointed.

34. Ride - Nowhere. Just about as shoegaze as I can take. Just the right side of "afraid to rock".

33. REM - Murmur. I think my fav REM LP is New Adventures..., or Up, or Green, or maybe this one. Who knows. All so great.

32. Dexy's Midnight Runners - Searching For The Young Soul Rebels. You've all got this, right?

31. Weezer - Weezer. Great fun, great tunes

30 The La's - The La's. Torn as to whether to include this. Does an only album count as a debut? Who cares.

29. Turin Brakes - The Optimist LP. I think I'm going to put this on tonight. Maybe not cool, but i'm not cool.

28. Belle & Sebastian - Tigermilk. I had a bootleg from a market in Liverpool before it got reissued. Loved it.

...and who knew you could get hooky CDs from a market. And in Liverpool of all places.

27. Tindersticks - Tindersticks. Dark, brooding & full of great, great tunes.

26. Throwing Muses - Throwing Muses. If you know me at all you knew this would be in there somewhere. SO great, as ever.

25. Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92. This was really like nothing I'd ever heard before. And probably since too.

24. Bonnie "Prince" Billy - I See A Darkness. I was never a Palace fan so Will Oldham really started here for me.

23. The Beta Band - The 3 EPs. Screw you and your "rules" man! You're not the boss of me! I don't class it as a compilation!

22. Björk - Debut. Who knew that this would be what came after The Sugarcubes? Genius at work.

21. The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground & Nico. Sold a few 1000 but everyone who bought made a debuts list.

20. Sparklehorse - Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot. The bane of indie folk on Twitter, eating as it does into your 140 chara

19. Belly - Star. One of the best things about being a Throwing Muses fan is that you get KH solo, 50ft Wave, TD solo & Belly.

18. The Sundays - Reading, Writing & Arithmetic. *Harriet Wheeler swoon*

17. P J Harvey - Dry. I went without food for almost a week in Germany to have the money to buy this. No regrets. #FileUnderP

16. The Bluetones - Expecting To Fly. Punching above its weight really, but I love it dearly & that's what this list is about.

15. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend. Most recent thing on the list I reckon. 1st thing I got The Girl into was "A-A-A Song"

14. Kristin Hersh - Hips & Makers. The only thing better than KH solo is KH doing Muses songs solo. Well, not the ONLY thing...

13. Beth Orton Trailer Park. I love this album so much. Heartbreaking at times.

12. Underworld - Dubnobasswithmyheadman. Really the first dance music album I owned. Apart from S'Express Original Soundtracks.

11. Air - Moon Safari. Obviously. May even be a little low now I come to think about it.

10. The Wedding Present - George Best. Can't see anyone disagreeing with this surely.

9. Bettie Serveert - Palomine. Almost the best album out of the low countries. Will play this tomorrow.

8. The Lilac Time - The Lilac Time. The best band ever managed by Alan McGee. Stephen Duffy is a great songwriter.

7. De La Soul - 3 Feet High & Rising. Funny, clever & cool. Before this all I knew of rap was "A Salt With A Deadly Pepa".

6. The Breeders - Pod. Another Muses tie-in. Prefer this to Last Splash by some distance.

5. Spiritualized - Lazer Guided Melodies. The start of the love affair. The soundtrack to many a lonely night in Germany in 92.

4. The Streets - Original Pirate Material. An album I have no business liking, never mind loving this much.

3. Tricky - Maxinquaye. Like the Streets one, here's an album I literally COULD NOT WAIT to be released. An all time favourite.

2. Sugar - Copper Blue. You may have thought this would be higher, and on another day you may have been right.

1. dEUS - Worst Case Scenario. dEUS are one of those bands I just stood in awe of the 1st time I saw them live. A perfect debutdEUS make me happy to be a music fan. So much going on in this album. spoti.fi/X5yiC0

No comments: